Saturday, August 1, 2026

Adventure story. 773 Leaving old home

                              Leaving old home

Pratap started knocking on door. He was so stressed. He began to knock again. It was his friend’s house. Rakesh was his best friend. Rakesh called him in middle of night. Pratap was sleeping peacefully when Rakesh called. He felt so scared by sound of phone ring. He didn’t like ringing of mobile. He knew that it was normal thing but still it gave him fear. Rakesh was his friend since childhood. Pratap always cared for him. Their bonding was so strong. They used to create happiness in each other’s life. They shared positive bond. Everything was fine. But one day worst thing had happened. His father died. He was so shattered. Pratap still remembered that day. A cop called & told it in dry voice. He kept asking same question again & again. He got same answer every time. Then finally cop told him place. He wrote it down. Then he called his mom. He told all to her. She kept asking him odd questions. She even declared that it was a fraud call. He knew very well that it was not. He didn’t argue with mom. He kept giving details. His mom told him to stay in home while she would go & check. His mom was used to do cooking in people’s houses for extra income. His father was never man with large income. In fact, his father’s drinking habits were creating issues for them all. But still he was his father. He supposed to feel sad. He wanted to cry by thinking about pleasant memories. But he knew that his death was not something which he regretted. On that point Rakesh came to his home as a friend. Rakesh used to sit beside him in classroom. They were not friends. Teacher just decided who supposed to sit beside whom. Rakesh was from nice financial background while his family had limited income. Slowly he began to get free pens, pencils, notebooks from Rakesh. Rakesh always purchased with offer buy one & get one free. He was so happy. It was such nice attitude of Rakesh. Pratap felt so thankful towards Rakesh. Even on that day other classmates looked around in his house & made faces. Pratap’s house was not posh one. His house was small with need of repairing of plastering & painting. His father just wasted all money on drinking. His father was died so he needed to inform school. Few parents of his classmates came. When they looked towards house, he sensed that now entire school would know about his financial status. He was so tense. Rakesh came on that time. Rakesh smiled & stood with him. After that he always remained friendly with Rakesh. In school Rakesh used to give free gifts but as they went in college it stopped. Now Rakesh wanted to give those gifts to girls to impress them. Girls admired Rakesh so much for them & Rakesh laughed behind their backs. Rakesh used to joke with his new rich friends “Those girls are so stupid they feel I done something great for them but I just throw few things which I don’t need.” When Pratap heard this, he felt hurt but he convinced himself it was not about him. Pratap kept his friendship same way even without gifts.

            Pratap was remembering all while knocking on door. Finally, a woman opened door. That woman just opened door little bit & asked “Who are you?” “I am Pratap.” “Pratap? Who?! Do you feel entire world know you by name Pratap?” “No…I am Rakesh’s friend. He called me since he was…” “Don’t waste my time. Go away. I am with Rakesh. I hope you are sensible enough to understand what this mean. I don’t understand how can you come in people’s house like this in midnight.” Pratap felt so hurt. He was certain Rakesh called him & wanted to talk. Pratap “Rakesh called me.” That woman closed door on his face. He felt so hurt & nervous. He didn’t understand why did Rakesh told him to come in this night. He looked around. It was totally dark. He began to sense that it was nearly midnight. He just ran out without second thought. All people who were walking around seemed like alcoholic one or criminal. He knew that few were staff going on nightshift. Those were hard working people. He started to pretend as if he was one of them. On that point he saw one lady. She smiled towards him. He didn’t recognize her at first then she said “I am Seema. Do you remember me?” He looked towards her & smiled. He remembered her as his childhood friend. “I remember you. You use to live near my house. How are you now?” “Fine. I work as nurse so I am going to hospital.” He was shy but, on that point, he suddenly asked “Do you like to have my number? We can message each other.” “Great.” So, they shared numbers with each other. He felt so nice. He began to feel one hope. He went back home with full positivity. He began to feel that Seema would call him & then he would get married with her. He felt so happy. Even his mom noticed his happiness & asked “What happened? What did Rakesh say to you?” He suddenly felt so tense. He knew very well what happened at Rakesh’s house. He began to sense that he was just poor person. He couldn’t expect one woman to fall in love with him. He needed money for it. He said without expression. “Rakesh is just fine.” On that point Rakesh called. He took his call immediately. Rakesh “Why didn’t you come? Are you out of your mind?” “I came but your friend told me to go away.” “OH! It’s okay. Bye.” Rakesh disconnected call. Pratap felt so shocked & nervous. Pratap wanted to feel positive about life but he kept feeling negative totally. It was giving negativity to his mind. He slowly looked towards Mom & said “I met Seema.” His Mom smiled & said “OH! Is she okay?” “Yes, she is nurse & doing nicely.” He went in room feeling totally hopeless. He began to feel certain that Seema would not call him. After all he had just helpless future.

           Pratap didn’t wait for call but still somewhere in his heart he felt hurt. He was expecting a call from Seema. But when that call didn’t come, he didn’t feel hurt. He was okay. But one day Rakesh called him. Rakesh “Do you remember that girl who used to stay near you?” “Who?” “That…what was her name? Seema! She became nurse. She is coming to take care of me daily.” Rakesh laughed after saying this. Pratap was shocked. “Why? What happened to you?” “Nothing special. I just got little fever & I decided to call hospital. They send her.” Pratap didn’t want to discuss further. He didn’t want negative comments. Pratap knew that now Seema would become one more admirer of Rakesh. Pratap just said “I need to work can I go back to it?” “Really? How much they will pay you for it? I will pay more than that.” Pratap knew that Rakesh could pay him more but he was not planning to work for Rakesh. “Sorry but I need to do my work. I promised them I will come.” “OH! You will work for them free of cost too if you promise them. This is so wrong. You are so stupid…” Pratap felt so hurt. He just began to remember things his dad said about him. He wanted to scream on Rakesh. After all Rakesh was not paying him much but still, he knew that he was living in rental house for which he needed to pay rent & owner might throw him out if Rakesh began to discourage his staying. He couldn’t get angry with Rakesh. He didn’t say anything. Pratap kept his feeling under control. Finally, Rakesh got bored & disconnected call. On that day Pratap cried first time. He felt so shattered. He wanted some simple girl in his life but no one was taking interest in him. They were just after money. Rakesh was not interested in getting married to any of them. Pratap felt hurt but he decided to go to his work. Once again, he worked hard but he didn’t get much. This was happening every time. He knew Rakesh was right he was working free of cost. He tried hard to hide his tears. But he knew that his mom would sense it soon. On that day when he returned home, he didn’t feel much hungry. His Mom kept trying hard to convince him to eat something but he didn’t want to eat. He was feeling stressed. He just wanted to cry loudly. He felt so sad. He began to work hard but he was no longer his former personality. He became dry in nature. He didn’t talk much. He just kept answering limited questions. Rakesh kept calling him. He kept going every day to do whatever Rakesh wanted. He was no longer acting like human he was just one robot who kept moving ahead. One day he went to Rakesh where he saw Seema. Seema smiled towards him. Pratap felt confused. Seema “So you don’t call me?” “I waited for your call.” She laughed. “Now you can’t expect girl to come & call. I am not so brave.” He felt so confused. He didn’t say anything. Then he finally asked directly “I thought you are interested in Rakesh!” “Rakesh! He is just patient. I need to come & give treatment.” “OH!” “You are looking so weak. Why don’t you come to hospital tomorrow?” Pratap was feeling weak already so he agreed. Next day he went to hospital. They checked him. But very soon they suggested psychiatrist. He was not interested in treatment. But Seema came in his home & convinced his mom for giving him psychiatric treatment. He didn’t have much options. He went there. He slowly talked about all. He told how did Rakesh called him daily. How did he needed to obey to stay in his house. Psychiatrist advised him to find way to escape from Rakesh. He didn’t find one. He discussed with Seema. She smiled & said “I have hospital staff quarter.” “But I am not medical professional.” “You can become. I will help you in getting job in hospital but you need to study & take course.” “& who will pay for it?” “I will.” “OH! Why will you do that?” “Since your mom told me you are interested in me & you got depressed after Rakesh told lies about me. Am I wrong?” He didn’t say anything. “My husband will stay with me. Our moms will stay with us. You can leave that house we don’t need to waste on rent.” He agreed to all. He just wanted to escape from Rakesh & he truly loved Seema. Pratap finally managed to arrange all. When he left his old house, he was little sad but it was okay. He didn’t need to meet Rakesh again. After that he changed his number too it was little problematic but still he did it. He was so happy when those calls stopped. He could sleep happily in his small house with his wife mother & mother-in-law. House was small they soon planned for kids too. Life was not easy but still it was pleasant. He was living happy life. Finally, he left behind memories of his father & his bad past. He began to live for his pleasant and future.

                                                 The End

No comments:

Post a Comment

Adventure story. 773 Leaving old home

                              Leaving old home Pratap started knocking on door. He was so stressed. He began to knock again. It was his frie...